Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Reader Steve L., who has come out of nowhere to become our most prolific tipster of the moment (well, knowing Steve I'm sure he was somewhere or other) has sent in one excellent tip today, some super sweet paintings by a Mr. Mark Ryden. At first I was thinking that I'd seen some of his work before, but I'm now leaning more toward the likelihood that he is simply working in a style which is pretty popular in the art world currently and I'm confusing him with someone else who does a similar 21st century figurative hyperrealism sorta thing. In any case, this guy does it really well, plus a lot of these particular paintings have bunnies in them.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryden's work was always a good excuse for me to pick up "Juxtapoz" in the past vs. their excessive coverage of Big Daddy Roth related stuff. i've yet to see any of it in person, on a wall, Live!

(f)

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark Ryden is my favorite painter. I have some of his small scale lithographs at home but just haven't gotten them framed. If you keep checking his site he sometimes has these for sale.
Jenn

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right about this style being popular right now. I went to this party last Friday for the Communication Arts Photography and Illustration annuals and I met this illustrator (chrisbuzelli.com) who gave me some samples and I was thinking "I feel like I've seen these somewhere before...". I'm not super familiar with any of these artists so I'm not sure who came first or whatever, but I know I see lots of illustration samples and this style is all over the place. Ryden's paintings are really nice, thanks Steve L.! -ab

8:33 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

yeah, i'm curious now to research this area a little more sometime to figure out who all's doing it and who was doing it first... I know it sorta reminds me in a way of Robert Williams stuff (oh and he started Juxtapoz magazine i'm now thinking...)

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought art was pretty much, you know, for losers. Has this suddenly changed.

Arrested Development has been canceled.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

yes, art has all of a sudden become for winners! get with the program, ya moron.

7th Heaven has been cancelled.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home