Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I'm a little too busy to really give this story the attention it deserves today, but I obviously can't ignore it completely. The headlines: Crack-crazed Squirrels Terrorise South London, Squirrels Go Nuts on Crack, Be Fluffy and Just Say Yes - But Only to Nuts, Squirrels May Get Hooked On Crack (most complete story, I think, probably the original source) and our winner: SQUIRREL CRACK-KIN: CREATURES DIG UP SECRET STASH OF DRUGS IN GARDEN. One comment I do have to make about this menace, just to set the record straight. All of these stories contain this information: "Crack squirrels are a recognised problem in America. They are common in parks used by addicts in New York and Washington DC." Um, no they aren't and no they're not. While I'm not really a crazy squirrel lover with a house full of nutty knick-knacks and a library of sciurid reference tomes (I can see where you might get that impression, but really the IAAFOTS name just started out as a ridiculous-sounding phrase to call something, like a blog for instance) I have ended up doing many a search for squirrel news and information over the past year and a half and I have NEVER come across any mention of crack squirrels until this story broke. Even now the only mention I found on the first six Google search pages before I gave up were related to this story. In my considered opinion, there are no crack-addicted squirrels anywhere, and if they did eat crackrock they would die. Brits, I know it's tough to get your facts straight when you're falling down drunk 24 hours a day, but if you could just try a bit harder when covering the small mammal beat in the future, that would be brilliant. Cheers.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I was going to tip you to this nonsense meself. In my country, we have some squirrels although not that many, and we have zero raccoons and zero skunks mores the pity. Summer isn't summer without skunk-roadkill-odor. Didn't know the old UK had raccoons. Do they rilly? -Andrew

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No 'possums in my country here. No marsupials of any kind in fact. However, we have other nice mammals such as lots of foxes though you hardly ever see em. And badgers! Which are cool though they can bite your leg clean off. And hedgehogs are very common and very cute! A sad small mammal item: I rescued a baby shrew from a cat the other day and didn't know what to do with it. Did a li'l research and found that it'd starve if it went 2 hrs without food. Rather than try and feed it constantly and then have a pet shrew, I put it more-or-less where I figured it was lost from. The sad little thing though, completely blind, just wiggling around looking for mama, opening and closing its little mouth. Breaks my heart! Breaks yours too now. In my country we say: a trouble shared is a trouble halved. Hope 1,000 people read this and divide my trouble by 1,000.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

FYI, no i don't think there are raccoons in the UK... don't have time to do any proper research right now, but there aren't any beatrix potter stories about them and there no Mr. Raccoon in Wind In The Willows, and those two facts are all i need to make my judgement (plus i think i read something last year about a raccoon that someone had brought over and it escaped and people were all freaked out by this strange creature waddling about and tipping over their garbage cans). bu the les true it is the better my funny funny joke works, was my thinking.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home