Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I was a little concerned that jackalopes might not make for a particularly fertile weekly topic – well not really so concerned, since I’m mostly just posting here for my own amusement and jackalopes do amuse me, but pretend concerned at least. But, as it so happens, there is plenty of jackalope material out there. In fact, reader Will H. has a jackalope tip for us to lead off this Tuesday. Will claims to have gotten an alligator jawbone from these guys at some point, but they also sell stuffed and mounted jackalopes and other jackalope memorabilia. Something you might notice on the Jackalope Junction frontpage is that jackalopes originated in Douglas, Wyoming, a fact backed up by the venerable New York Times, which ran on obituary for Douglas Herrick, father of the jackalope, on January 19, 2003. Here’s a brief excerpt, though I recommend reading the whole thing: In 1932 … the Herrick brothers had returned from hunting. “We just throwed the dead jack rabbit in the shop when we come in and it slid on the floor right up against a pair of deer horns we had in there,” Ralph said, “It looked like that rabbit had horns on it.” His brother’s eyes brightened with inspiration. “Let’s mount that thing!” he said. Oddly, the Douglas home page does not mention jackalopes at all, even though their address is http://www.jackalope.org/... They do have a picture of a giant jackalope statue on the attractions page, but that seems to be it. This omission is very perplexing, since according to this detailed profile of Douglas on the American Profile website, the jackalope is central to the town’s identity. Maybe they figure you already know about the jackalopes if you’re looking at their website in the first place, but you’d think they’d say something.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are not hinting about birthday presents. I do love the full body standing jackalope, but at $185, don't get your hopes up.

Mike A

10:35 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

No, in fact I would very much not like to receive a dead rabbit for my birthday... not that I do not love Filbert Brown, because I do, but one furry corpse in my living room is plenty.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home