Tuesday, May 10, 2005


I haven't just been lollygagging around on this mini-vacation, in fact yesterday I travelled all the way up to Queens to visit the Greater New York 2005 show at PS1 with reader Will H. I really ought to have noted some of the artists' names, but after doing some research at home I am fairly confident that the sculpture above, Deere Ball, must be by Lars-Erik Fisk. What would be extra cool is if as soon as you wandered into range of the Deere Ball it began to hum, turned slowly towards you, and then began to chase you around the arena until you were pinned helplessly against one of the cement walls. It just sits there, however. I also liked this painting below but there's not much to go on to figure out that artist's name after the fact. so it will have to remain uncredited unless someone else goes to the show and notes what is written on the nearby card on the wall for me.

Then when we left to head back to the G train I suggested that we should just walk back, which Will initially thought might be crazy but was, in fact, not crazy at all. 70 degrees, sunny, and only around 10 minutes from the Pulaski Bridge, which spans the Newtown Creek (and the entrance to the Midown Tunnel) between L.I.C. and Greenpoint, I would call this the sanest notion I've had in awhile. Below is a photograph of the lower reaches of the bridge operator's hut on the Pulaski; I was speculating that it might be nice to live inside this mid-bridge hut (which I should have captured, too, it's a nice two-story modern metal and glass box circa 1954, but as Will pointed out, you'd want to have your bedroom and stuff down under here where it wouldn't be as noisy).

As a bonus, I've also found this series of photos which will allow you to experience my normal walk home from the Nassau G station every day - be sure to take a right after you pass Buckley's Self Service Market or you'll have gone too far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home