Monday, May 16, 2005

The first discovery I've made for Small Town Festivals Week is a new attraction that appears to be sweeping the world of rural celebrations: tractor square dancing. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure how new this is, but I've never heard of it before and I have been to more than a few festivals and fairs in my day. Something I have seen is the combine demolition derby, which is not as exciting as a regular demolition derby but still enjoyable to watch. My searching just now turned up a lot of hits for Lind, Washington, which some folks seem to think invented combine demolition derbies in 1988, but they were at the Iowa State Fair and elsewhere while I was still in high school (1986 or earlier) so I think not. Actually, some readers might not know what a combine is, and then once you've found out you might imagine it would be highly thrilling to see them smashing into one another. The problem is they're not so fast. Still, I would think it has tractor square dancing beat, but like I say I haven't seen the dancing tractors. Yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home