Wednesday, April 13, 2005

When I first introduced the new concept of weekly topics here, I'll admit that I was concerned that my regular readers might become spooked at the unfamiliar newness of it all, and in fact early on there was at least one reader who expressed some reservations about the topic system. But then Cityrag linked to one of the cocktail-centric posts, which resulted in around 275 hits as opposed to the 80 or so I'd been averaging before. I assumed this would be a short-lived upsurge in readership, but the hitcount stayed above 200 for the rest of the week, didn't drop down nearly as much as usual over the weekend, and the next week it was consistently over 300. And it keeps on rising, with all-time high totals of 420 and 415 the past two days; I don't know how much of a connection there is, but I do know that the statistics show a five-fold increase in readership since the introduction of the weekly topic. And as far as the regular readers, Andrew H. at least is very pro-topic, and to back up his effusive praise of the concept he's sent in a few hygienic tips. The first is a collection of American Social Hygiene posters from 1910-1970, which contain many important lessons which are just as applicable today, such as Be Clean, Bathe Often, and Women Are Dirty. The second tip concerns Tooth Tunes, a rockin' new toothbrush which Hasbro plans to introduce. Funny little aside about this story - when I first read the shorter link that Andrew sent in, which had said something like 'I wonder what artists are going to want to be involved with this', my first thought was the Black-eyed Peas (even though this product is aimed at kids and I always think of the BEP as something that 40 year olds listen to as a funky change of pace from all the Norah Jones and Sting); then when I found this more complete story I read that Hasbro is currently in negotiations with said Peas. No mention of Smash Mouth or Moby, but those two might just go without saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home