Thursday, April 28, 2005

So, reader Andrew H. wants some Pan Am nostalgia, does he? Okay, here's a brief history of Pan Am, here's an old Pan Am filmstrip, here are some early photos of Pan Am passengers and accomodations (wicker chairs, sleeping berths!), here is a huge collection of air sickness bags including ones from Pan Am, and here is some art. I hadn't realized myself that Pan Am was among the many airlines which had gone under since my youth, but there were two others that I was planning on mentioning, and now I will do just that. Personally the most memorable defunct airline is Ozark Airlines, as the majority of trips I took growing up were on this carrier (also occasionally flew Frontier but I think they may still be around). And anyone who visited an airport in the late sixites through the seventies probably remembers the colorful planes (some by Alexander Calder) of Braniff International, home of the Pucci-clad stewardesses. I thought about listing all the other defunct airlines, but there are 214 companies that have folded just since 2000, so forget that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home