Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I also just read that the IOC is going to vote on whether to keep all of its current sports. While this may mean that Sabre Hermes will need to work on his putting before the 2012 Games in Paris (I take my desires for reality because I believe in the reality of my desires) at least it doesn't look like they're talking about the superior Winter Olympics, because if they were voting on that I might be slightly afraid for that Canadian-beloved sport which I have a real fondness for myself, curling. Yeah, the only sport where actual sweeping, with a broom, enters into the competition always gets mocked a little down here every four years, but on the rare occasions I've actually gotten to watch some (even during the Olympics they only show a brief highlight package during the primetime coverage) I have found it to be hypnotically fascinating. Well, fascinating may not be exactly the right word... hypnotically pleasant maybe, but the match I saw on NBC a year or two ago where the US women, led by skip Debbie McCormick, beat the Canadian women for what I believe was the first time ever, was exciting. Unfortunately for Debbie's Team Lucky Monkey, they lost to skip Cassie Johnson's curlers at the Olympic Curling Trials which were just held in Wisconsin, so Team USA in Torino will be Team Johnson. Whoever's going, I'm sure all can agree that this is an attractive hoodie.

The subject of Canadian sports reminds me that there is one other thing I knew about Ottawa that I forgot to mention on Monday - it's the home of the first place Baltimore Orioles' triple-A farm team, the Ottawa Lynx. Bruce Chen, who will be heading out to face fat old David Wells of the Boston Red Sox this evening, was up there last season and our top prospect John Maine is up there right now. I'm sure few, if any, of you care about Orioles pitching prospects, but even if you don't maybe you can help me figure this out: on the Lynx homepage, their mascot is clearly the lynx pictured over on the right of the top banner, right? So what in holy hell is that spike-headed monster lurking to the left of their logo?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, that is totally earl weaver.

MA

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home