Wednesday, March 30, 2005

It seems like everyone else in the world is already all over this, but I just bought the new M.I.A. album Arular today and am so into it that I'm going to take a second to join in the chorus, by which I mean post a few links because I am no lame-ass music critic (Pitchfork, which I both despise and read all the time can take care of that for you). Boing Boing has a link to the video for Galang (directed by Ruben Fleischer, who also did at least one of those Burger King commercials I love so much) and Boom Selection currently has a couple of unreleased tracks up, not quite as good as the album but free and get 'em while you can. This is the first new music that's moved me to go beyond downloading a few tracks and actually buy the album in a long time, and as a bonus it's the first album I've bought in forever where I actually like every single track (doesn't hurt that it's not all that long, I suppose, but still). In short: recommended!

2 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

touché

8:28 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Her vocals could be a litle irritating, with their constant repitition and sameness... but I like the whole package - of course, I kind of like a little of that dancehall and reggaeton, too. And I like this much beter than most of the 'grime' I've been hearing, dizzee rascal, et al., which it also has a similarity too. There was a piratey mashup kind of project she was on last fall, too, which I guess I slept on but need to get ahold of now. So much of the new music the kidz are into these days ends up sounding like total crap and/or weak versions of the good old stuff to me that I end up thinking everything new is shit and not checking it out to be sure, I'm finding. Glad I read about this enough times to finally look into it.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home