Friday, March 25, 2005


How y'all feel? Alright, I got a little question for all you. I wanna know - how many people here like to take a taste of alcohol? Alright. I know, you know it's getting so hot outside you always need something to cool you off. There's gotta be some people out there that like to drink tequila. Alright. I was talking to somebody backstage before, and they were telling me there's a lot of you people there that like to drink vodka and orange juice. Yeah. I'll tell you something - when you're down in the dumps and you need something to bring you up, there's only one thing that's gonna do it the way you want it. What's that? Cold gin. Before cocktail week at IAAFOTS is over I need to get to the recipes for gin drinks that I’m hoping to work into my personal drinking rotation – one of them is the gimlet, which has already been covered, and the other leading contender (that I assume most bartenders ought to know how to make) is the Tom Collins. This drink was so popular that it got its own glass named after it, the tall 12 oz. collins glass, and looks to be very refreshing. Following the Collins recipe I’ve also got some other contenders which I’m not as certain that bartenders will know how to make, but most of them look fairly easy to explain if a place wasn’t that busy some night (I’m particularly intrigued by the French 75).

Tom Collins
1 ½ oz. gin
Juice of ½ lemon
1 teaspoon sugar
Shake with ice, strain and pour over fresh ice in a tall (Collins) glass, fill with soda. Garnish with orange slice, cherry. Sour mix could be substituted for lemon/sugar if necessary.

Gin Rickey
1 ½ oz. gin
½ lime
In a 9 oz. highball glass, squeeze juice from ½ lime, then throw lime shell in after it. Add gin, fill with ice and soda. ¼ teaspoon sugar or dash of grenadine optional.

Darby
1 ½ oz. gin
½ oz. fresh lime juice
½ oz. grapefruit juice
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Shake well with ice, strain into cocktail glass. Top with dash of soda, add cherry.

French 75
2 oz. gin
1 oz. lemon juice
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Stir well in tall 14 oz. glass. Add ice and fill with champagne.

Gin Daisy
2 ½ oz. gin
2 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
½ oz. grenadine
1/2 oz. orange juice
Shake in iced cocktail shaker & strain into cocktail glass
Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you left of the delicious and easy-to-make summertime favorite of reader Andrea B., the Ginesca.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home