Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Reader Will H. has sent in a great and terrible tip to lead off this Tuesday. Let me repeat the heads up given at the top of this linked page, however - Warning: photos of dead squirrel. Canary's final position also reminds me a little of a less tragic anecdote from a few years ago. I had recently moved to Brooklyn and purchased a carpet-covered kitty tower with pussy penthouse for Cassius The Cat Clay to hang out in. Now the pussy penthouse is a cube at the top of the tower with a round hole cut in the front that a smaller cat might enjoy hiding inside, but Cassius, at least at the time, was a very large and in charge feline. So a day or two after installing the tower in the living room section of my apartment I went out to wander around my new neighborhood for awhile, and when I returned around 4 hours later I stayed in the kitchen putting away some groceries I had bought and organizing things. I'd gotten some cat food, too, but when I poured some into Cassius's bowl he hadn't come sprinting into the kitchen as usual, which seemed strange. So after a little time had passed I headed back toward the living room to look for him and as I got closer I started to hear a very muffled mewing... apparently Cassius had decided to investigate the pussy penthouse but after bounding up the ledge beneath it and hurling himself inside had discovered that he did not quite fit, but he had lodged himself far enough in that his hind legs no longer reached the lower ledge, and I guess with being unable to feel anything to land on behind him he had been afraid to just wriggle back out. So, possibly for almost four hours, he had been stuck there with his big fat ass sticking out of the hole and his legs pedaling beneath him trying to gain traction on something to shove himself the rest of the way in so he could turn around and leap back out. Fortunately he hadn't died, though, and no tongs were necessary to pull him out; unfortunately my oven doesn't work so I was unable to make cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home