Friday, February 25, 2005


I thought that maybe missing the show last week would lead to a renewed appreciation of it, sort of an absence makes the heart grow fonder situation, but it was just as non-compelling as before when I tuned back in last night. They had a pretty great task, too, going up to Harlem and spray-painting a mural to hawk Gran Turismo 4 for Sony, but the only exciting thing that really resulted from that was when Donald rode through Harlem in his limousine to view the teams' progress and there was a rap song playing in the background with a chorus of "Trump's rollin' up, Trump's rollin' up!" I'd like to think that he was actually listening to this on the stereo, but they probably just added it in post-production... well then again maybe not, the more I think about it the idea that Donald Trump might commission a library of truly magnificent jams with his name inserted into them and then listen to nothing else isn't all that far-fetched. The other bright spot of the episode was the fact that Craig "Peaceful Feet" Williams was finally allowed to speak on air, and he is now definitely my favorite character. Audrey Evans, however, is not such a huge fan, because she raised herself since she was 13 and doesn't need to listen to a guy with four kids, especially when he talks to her in a manner that is demeaningful. It looks like we'll be finding out more about this newly revealed troubled past next week, since they showed a scene of her screeching "I had everything taken from me - everything!" in the preview, and in case anyone still wants to know more after that I also see on her website that "Audrey is offering personalized private celebrity tours to Peru and Baja Mexico - both places she is intimately familiar with." Also from her bio we read that "My roots were one foot in Peru and another in a world disappointment" which didn't quite make sense to me until I visited the Mexican Tourism site and saw the "Baja Mexico: A World Disappointment" posters in their gallery. I don't think you'd be trying to get strangers to pay for your vacations if you'd won the game, but that insight is not exactly breaking news. The graffiti resulting from the teams' efforts was not very good on either side, though Net Worth's looked a little better, possibly because they didn't just start painting jungle vines and other random crap on the wall before deciding what their idea was going to be as Magna did. Something else that probably helped the street smart mural look slightly better was that their artist seemed to have stuck around for the project, while Magna's was hired and then never seen again (my theory is that Tana Goertz may have accidentally gnawed her to death in an effort to keep her big and constantly growing beaver teeth in check - and come to think of it, has anyone seen Kendra Todd recently?). Unfortunately, Tara Dowdell's concept for the Net Worth mural was surprisingly anti-Playstation - "It's about leaving escapism behind" - and taking all the credit for the entire project with a constant stream of "I, I, I, I" when he Sony folks showed up with their focus group didn't mkae her later claim that "I don't believe I own this" very convincing. Maybe the fact that she got her "street smarts" on the mean streets of the UVA campus was also a factor, though a similar background didn't seem to hurt the admittedly college-educated Alex, who was Magna's team leader this week. Since the fact that I've been trying to write this all day during brief lulls in my work has already made it even more of a disjointed and uninspired mess than usual I'll just go ahead and throw in something entirely unrelated to this week's episode: just in case anyone still needs further proof that Alex enjoys packin' a rod, here it is. Anyhow, I might as well just wrap this up now... the boardroom was completely lackluster, possibly due to the absence of sweet Caroline, and resulted in Mr. Trump half-heartedly firing Tara. He really didn't want to, but like everybody else on the show this season she seemed incapable of clearly and non-contradictorily explaining why Audrey or Craig should go instead (here's how it should be done: "You want another Enron on your hands, Mr. Trump? Here's Pamela.") Okay, I'm done here, hopefully next week I'll have more time to properly compose my thoughts concerning the candidates' attempts to terrify small children by dressing up as clowns that they showed in the previews, since I don't think my real wish (that they'll wise up and cancel this dreck in midseason before I have to watch anymore) is likely to come true.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to impunge your street cred, but the Net Worth muralist was the famous Lady Pink ... go ahead, google her. Unfortunately I don't think her style fits a racing game and that was a big mistake ... that mural was "Mad Ugly" and really didn't deserve any "Props." I would go so far to say that the car itself looked "Wack."

wh

11:23 PM  
Blogger yitwail said...

alex a rifle-totin christian, eh? nice bit of research, googling, or whatever. i only started watching prentice this year; maybe prentice has jumped the shark already.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home