Sunday, November 14, 2004

Well, Jason did get me on the list, + one (shout out to reader Teresa S.) and all I can say right now is oh my fucking god. I may have to fill this in a little later when I'm not as drunk as I am right now, but this evening ended up so much weirder and more awesome than I had ever imagined. And no, there was no third time charm or any sort of getting busy involved, but this turned into such a perfect night irregardless of all that bullshit (not that I don't plan on getting harder-core at the earliest opportunity, because I am locked, loaded, and ready for action on that front too, believe me). I stand behind my earlier manifesto 100% as well, though it may need a few addendums after meeting and conversing, drunkenly but at at length, with Genesis P-Orridge. The man behind Stale Popcorn who put us on the list turns out to be an incredibly great guy, too, who perhaps not so surprisngly knows a lot of the folks I knew back in San Francisco, including reader Andrew H., Laurie, Wendy, and... it's just a strangely small world, and meeting the guy/gal/whatever behind Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV for me is like meeting Billy Joel would have been for my lovely reader companion, and this was just the sort of wonderfully odd fun that every night out ought to be. Look forward to the photos, now I need to have a little more potato salad and get myself to bed. And in the morning after the night, I fall in love with the light, it is so clear I realize, and here at last I have my eyes. La da da da da da.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you were rather drunk when writing this piece; a couple items that display telltale signs:
1. You wrote it when you got home after the show.
2. Your companion for the evening compared your feelings of meeting GPO to how she would feel meeting Steve Albini. Not BILLY JOEL.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

oh, i know you (or rather she) did, I just thought thee piano man would make for a comparison that everyone could better understand. and no argument about the fact that i was quite intoxicated, it might not have been the best idea to have been keeping up with someone who didn't have to get up and go to work today in retrospect. still, i feel suprisingly ok really.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reader Andrea B. didn't think Teresa was a big Billy Joel fan....

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reader Teresa S. has no problem admitting that she has a soft spot for Billy J. --his music, not him. And, if you must know Jimmy Buffet has a special place in my heart too. Him or his music, you ask? Either answer seems equally bad, so I'll leave that up to your imagination.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

you know, there's someone who might himself benefit from some breast implants and full set of gold teeth... or maybe more appropriately getting extensive surgery to make him look like he really has a parrot's head. seriously, i don't like the concept of 'guilty pleasures' at all, whatever music a person likes there's no need to feel any shame about it unless it's the dave matthews band.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reader Kirra B actually met Steve Albini on two occasions. Both times it was a hasty introduction, and I don't think he even looked at me, or said anything. But, I was thrilled anyway. I've never met Billy Joel, but there is that story about Tony Bennett.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

oh by the way, i realize i never did manage to get around to saying what the actual gig was due to my falling into a stupor halfway through yesterday... A: Helmet & Totimoshi. Helmet still suck (according to me at least, opinions may vary), Totimoshi well worth checking out if you're in the mood for some vaguely melvinsy heaviness from the oaktown. PTV folks not performing, just in attendance.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home