Saturday, November 27, 2004

I realize that it could be exTREMEly boring to read about various restaurants and other establishments that I patronize, especially when I'm not feeling up to being very funny while doing so (if I start getting any less sleep than I've managed to get over the past several days I'm going to cross the border into the realm of negative sleep, a poorly named phenomenon which has up to this point been only a theoretical construct put forth by the tiny marmot scientists that may or may not be living, theorizing, and plotting untold marmot mischief within the warm and wooly confines of my comforter... seriously that's just my best effort at making this somewhat amusing, I have not actually lost my marbles quite yet, so far as I know, but I am so very tired right now). But there are a lot of businesses in New York, and I like to find out about ones that other people can personally recommend myself, so what exactly am I apologizing for again? Let me get to the point of this post: I've been cutting my own hair for many years now, and it normally turns out pretty well I think, but I can really only give myself one haircut, shaved all the way down to 1/4" or so over most of the head except for a hand-sized patch up front that's more like an inch or so in length. Eventually that'll grow out looking ok, too, but it is a very long eventually, and when I attempted to do something less drastic to the longer version a month or so ago I ended up creating something very haphazard indeed. Therefore I have finally been forced to pay actual money to someone else to fix the whole mess and get my hair back into a decent looking transitional phase that will be able to grow to its full potential without being cruelly mocked by all the other haircuts it passes by during its travels around our city. I always really loved the name of this salon that used to be on Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg (and recently moved over to Lorimer and Bayard) called Mousey Brown, and I figured that as long as I was up for shelling out a fair amount of cash to set things straight up there, a place that evoked both a small furry mammal and my natural hair color was the most logical choice (plus it's only a fifteen minute walk from my apartment). I called them up at 10 this morning (I told you I didn't get much sleep) assuming that I wouldn't get an appointment until next weekend at the earliest because I think they're sort of popular, but when I got called back an hour or so later they had an opening at 5pm today and let me tell you, they are 1) very nice, at least the guy whose name I helpfully forget who worked on me, 2) they have an excellent soundtrack going, most memorably Dream Police, and 3) though it had to get shorter than I really want it to be in order to correct all of my handiwork and right now it doesn't look overly exceptional (though not at all bad or anything), when I run my hands through it and mess around with it now that I'm home I can definitely tell that the end result is really good and will soon turn into what I was hoping for. Plus I was asking the guy about what he was doing and what some implements were that I hadn't seen before and learned a little about the whole haircutting process, so that was interesting and educational too. It was $45, which while more than I've ever spent in my life before for a haircut didn't seem that crazy, especially when compared to what you'd probably spend for the same thing across the East River, and several months from now when it gets long enough that I might want a second pass at it I will totally be going back. So, even though I'm realizing that I don't think I ever write something like this when I don't like someplace I've been, I still need to say: highly recommended (plus, for serious, it has mouse in its freaking name, come on).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like squirrels and you go to Mousey Brown, it might interest you to know that a few months ago when I was in that Mousey Brown/Pete's Candy Store area, I saw an honest-to-goodness, bona fide RACCOON. It was moving along at a fair clip down Lorimer and it made a left onto Richardson, heading towards the BQE. Could've been out for a beer run or maybe it was the rabies.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah and Paul,
I love squirrels and mice and all sorts of furry animals. (Especially the ones with the light grey mousey brown hair.)
I heard that the developements on Bayard Street on McCarren Park have forced at least a half dozen raccoons into the old house on Richardson Street that is falling down.
I suppose I'll call the aspca tomorrow.
Poor babies.
Be well.
Fur rules.
Meredith Chesney
Mousey Brown Salon

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home