Tuesday, November 09, 2004


Here's another selection from my high school newspaper that I forgot to put up when I was posting the scans: my first car, a 1972 Gran Torino Sport. It cost me under $500, the muffler had a tendency to fall off, and in the winter it wouldn't start half the time even if you kept the engine block plugged in all night, but it did have a 351 Cleveland and could get up over 120mph on a straight stretch of highway. For a better view imagine that this car is baby blue, lacking the Mustang spoiler, and a total piece of crap. Here in NYC it isn't really necessary to own a car, other than to get out (which would admittedly be pretty nice), and the same was true in San Francisco, so it's been about 12 years since I've had something of my own to drive, and if I ever did again I was leaning more toward a Mini or one of your tinier varieties. Remembering the Sport makes me reconsider that, though, deep down I think solid American steel is always going to be what I feel a car ought to be. Not that it's going to matter anytime soon what sort of car I like, but someday I'll be in the market again, and it's always good to be prepared.Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home