Thursday, November 04, 2004

Having never managed to fall asleep on election night, my yesterday is just a fuzzy blur of gloating consultants, juicy brisket, and downtown chuckling, with me stumbling groggily through it all with glazed eyes and exceedingly sporadic cognitive functions. So when I was reminded on my way in this morning of an odd moment I witnessed while journeying home last night it took me a good long while to determine whether it actually happened in real life or was simply something I dreamt. Seeing that my homepage says that it is in fact Thursday and not Wednesday today helped to clear this up, but you can't really trust anything you read on this internet. More conclusive is the fact that yesterday's jumbled memories don't include me making any sweet love to some lucky lady, and since that's been a consistent component of my dreams for the past several months I clearly must have been awake. Now that I'm confident that this short anecdote is true, why don't I go ahead and relate it to you? When traveling up Nassau Avenue from the G, you cross McGuinness Blvd., a four lane roadway with a median in the middle. Often people, myself included, will see an opening in the traffic before the light changes and dart out to the median so at least they're halfway across and have a jump on those poor suckers still waiting back on the curb for the walking white man signal to appear. Due to my extreme lack of sleep last night I chose not to risk anything like this when I got to McGuinness, but a woman next to me holding a bouquet of flowers could not wait and took off at the first break in traffic, which was moving a lot faster than she'd estimated and she very nearly got clipped before getting to the island of safety. But here's the part that makes this tale worthy of further contemplation: when she got to the island she carefully removed a faded bunch of flowers that are always taped to the lightpole there as a memorial to some loved one who had been run down and killed at that spot, unwrapped the bouquet she had been carrying, and taped them up as a replacement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home