Wednesday, November 17, 2004

"Duane Ellett delighted children for three decades. He entertained them with his puppet friend Floppy, a high-voiced beagle dog that enjoyed riddles and let kids beep his nose for luck." Every local television market used to have their own afternoon kids' shows, some that were educational to some degree and some that mostly just showed cartoons bracketed by a host that was in costume or had a clown sidekick or, as in the case of The Floppy Show on WHO in Des Moines, IA, a puppet. There were other great shows like this from my childhood that I'd like to find more information on, like Betty Lou & The House With The Magic Window from WOI in Ames or Dr. Max & Mambo out of Mason City, but Floppy is the first one I looked for because as some readers know I have a kind of comedy/video/art piece I've been talking about doing for awhile that is mostly inspired/ripped-off from the high-voiced beagle dog. He had a 15 minute show at noon that mostly just showed cartoons, but on his 3:30pm show he had an audience of kids surrounding him (and Duane) who would come up and tell him riddles, "What's the biggest pencil in the world?" "What did the Pink Panther say when he stepped on an ant?", "Why does Gene Wilder come in bottles?", etc. I myself finally got a chance to meet Floppy once when he did an appearance at Arnold's Park up at the best of Iowa's Great Lakes (West Okoboji) but I was probably around 9 at that time so it wasn't really as exciting as it would have been when I was 4 or 5, though he did have a drawing where I won a whole bunch of tickets for the park and some publicity photos for that fall's new NBC shows. Due to my poor cursive writing on my entry form he called me "Paul Mrew" but you have to cut a big celebrity like that some slack, especially when they're made out of balsa wood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home