Thursday, October 21, 2004


Ackley-Geneva Argus, May 1986. Mine was sort of funny at the time, possibly (I wrote Danny Baker's, too). Funnier, though, is that this entry was left alone but someone on the afternoon shift of the paper changed one of my other submissions from the "senior survey" all the seniors (except Dan) filled out for this graduation issue. For What You'll Miss Most I put down "the rich, black topsoil" and when I saw the page laid out it had been changed to "rich topsoil". Thinking it was just a typo, I redid it and restored my original text (I was the editor, after all), but then when the issue came out it had been removed again. I guess someone thought it was somehow racist? That's the only explanation I can think of, anyway. Which is ridiculous, the area surrounding Ackley was always said to have the richest topsoil in the world (undoubtedly a lie, but that was the word) and it is dark black. Of course, now that I think about it I remember that I had just gotten over half our class to cast a vote for the person I think was responsible, who was also the member of our class who got knocked up during our senior year, in the category of "Most Accident Prone". She definitely won that vote, but the second place winner ended up on the list when it was published. I don't even know why it was necessary to give someone the title of editor, since these examples make clear I had absolutely no authority over what actually went into the publication.Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home